Monday, April 04, 2005

Who would've thought?

“You can’t go past the fence now. The hippos are out. They have their calves”
- Imole, activity coordinator at Sondzela

“They will eat us?”
- Anne, French tourist

“No, of course not, they’re vegetarians… they will just kill you”
- Imole

This exchange wasn’t as comforting as Imole seemed to intend, but apparently hippos really are the deadliest animals on Earth, so we’re quarantined inside the Sondzela grounds until they retreat to the water at dawn.

Okay, now I’m bored. I’ve done pretty much everything there is to do in my part of Swaziland, now that nighttime game walks are forbidden. I’m none too keen on sitting around counting the minutes until dinner time, which was today’s main activity. Even the warthogs are losing their novelty, and since I have neither time nor funding to further explore Southern Africa, I’m going to go to Joburg, maybe visit the Apartheid Museum, and then head to Gabs, where a going-away party theoretically awaits me.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you like to get a 40Gb Ipod for only 40$? Go and visit http://www.get-gifts-for-free.com/?ref_id=76247 and you'll see what u've been missing all this time ; ).

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news you're off to Costa a Rica Paul for your masters -otherwise known as Costa Mucho!. The International Peace University is well known-one of our famous Canucks- Maurice Strong helped in its formation. I'm sure you are aware of all the bursaries, scholarships and stipends available to you. After your first year maybe I can come down for a visit. Was in Lemon not to long ago. Keep us posted on your blog site..

U-Barry

6:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home